Sunday, August 7, 2016

Always Busy

Guide dog Leif, a black Labrador Retriever, sits on some bare earth and looks up into the camera.
Add caption
As a puppy I always new that I was special. I got lots of praises, met very interesting people and got to fly inside aeroplanes and play with lots of other puppies.

Today as a qualified and working guide dog I always draw lots of attention when I  go out with my human, William.

William has a little bet with himself wherever we go. He listens out for the cries of little children calling out, "Doggie!"

The most "Doggies!" we have ever encountered was in a supermarket last week, where I raised twenty-one such cries in just thirteen minutes.

William always says how he would love a dollar for each cry of "doggie!" He would have a fortune. I just say if I had a piece of kibble for those cries, I would have a full tummy.

Did you know there is now a theory that we Labs have a missing gene? That missing gene told our wolf ancestors that our tummies were full and that we should stop eating.

Stop Eating! Wow I could never do that. Can you imagine how thin and gaunt I would look, a mere shadow of myself. I need to eat constantly to maintain my energy. I am constantly on the hunt for food. Whether it be kibble, an apple, popcorn or cedar chips. All find their way into my tummy at some time or other.

A few months ago, William found himself with a new hobby, his job is to feed me, his hobby is television production. He even has his own television program, 'Blindside Fresno' This program is produced each month and  talks about blindness and low vision issues. It has been interviews with people in the blind community in the first programs but later he promises a major role for me. But this may just be him making bigshot producer promises just to get me to work harder for him.

=====================================================================





======================================================================

When I haven't been working hard with William at the television studio I have had some nice days with doggie pals at the local dog park swimming pool. With temperatures here getting into the low 100 degrees F level it is much too hot to walk outside so it is nice to spend time cooling my paws in the pool.

Well tomorrow is a hard walking and working day for me. A doctors trip with William then out to speak to some prospective guests on his TV show.

No comments:

Post a Comment